The Silicon Valley Office is a thriving contributor to Weil’s remarkable record of success. The office boasts “gold standard” practice groups in the areas of Banking & Finance, Complex Commercial Litigation, Cybersecurity, Data Privacy & Information Management, Executive Compensation & Benefits, Intellectual Property & Media, Mergers & Acquisitions and Private Equity, Patent Litigation & Strategic IP Counseling and Technology & IP Transactions. All practice groups in the Silicon Valley Office share a common passion for innovation and technology as well as a commitment to efficiency and excellence.
These values have earned the office an impressive client list, including such leading companies and private equity firms as Alibaba, Applied Materials, Core-Mark, Conversica, Dell, eBay, Evercore, Facebook, Francisco Partners, Genstar Capital, Getty Images, The Gores Group, Groupon, Guardant Health, Illumina, Maxim Integrated, Micron, Oculus, Panasonic, Rakuten, Silver Lake, Softbank, Tesla Motors, TPG, Trive Capital, Vonage, Walgreens and Yahoo.
Pro Bono Initiatives and Community Service
Philanthropy is a cornerstone of the Silicon Valley office. Through its “Weil Gives Back” program, lawyers and staff collaborate with local charities, such as Second Harvest Food Bank, Community Legal Services in East Palo Alto, Progeria Research Foundation, Wardrobe for Opportunity, American Lung Association and the Justice & Diversity Center of the Bar Association of San Francisco, with respect to meaningful, and often life-changing, community service and pro bono legal projects.
The Silicon Valley office’s dedication to the community is evident through its history of pro bono success. For example, Weil served as co-counsel with the Center for Constitutional Rights and others in reaching a landmark settlement in the federal class action Ashker v. Governor of California that ended indeterminate, long-term solitary confinement in all California state prisons.
Over the years, Silicon Valley lawyers have also contributed thousands of hours of pro bono service to the Legal Aid Society of San Mateo County, including a recent case involving relief for a victim of family elder abuse. In recognition of the Firm’s commitment to providing pro bono legal services to communities in need, Weil was honored by the organization with the “Guardian of Justice” Award in 2016.
Awards and Recognition
- Leaders in M&A and Private Equity: Craig Adas and Kyle Krpata recognized for both Corporate/M&A and Private Equity as leading lawyers in Chambers USA California.
- Technology Savvy: Our lawyers advise 83% of the 2017 Fortune 100 technology companies based in the Bay Area. Kyle Krpata was recognized as a 2019 Technology Trailblazer by The National Law Journal.
- Top Ranked Patent Litigators: Weil named IP Firm of the Year by Benchmark Litigation 2017 and 2018; Edward Reines named among 2017 Top IP Attorneys in California by the Daily Journal and as a 2018 Intellectual Property Trailblazer by The National Law Journal.
- Award Winning Female Partners: Karen Ballack named 2017 Trusted Advisor and 2017 Women Leaders in Tech Law by The Recorder; Anne Cappella named 2017 Top Women Lawyers in California by the Daily Journal; Randi Singer named a Future Star in 2017 and 2018 by Benchmark Litigation.
- Deep Bench of Rising Stars: David Singh named to Benchmark Litigation’s 2018 “40 and Under Hot List” and a 2017 Rising Star for Class Actions by Law360.