Awards and Recognition
Weil partners in the New York office have been recognized for their leadership, innovation and groundbreaking successes across a variety of practice areas.
Recent achievements include:
- Executive Partner Barry Wolf was named a “Distinguished Leader” by the New York Law Journal and “Outstanding Ally” at the Chambers Diversity & Inclusion Awards in June 2019, and a "Legal Innovator" by the Financial Times in its 2018 North America Innovative Lawyers report.
- Litigation partner Sarah Coyne, Business Finance & Restructuring partner Marcia Goldstein and Public Company Advisory Group partner P.J. Himelfarb were named “Best Practitioners” in their respective areas at the Euromoney Americas Women in Business Law Awards in June 2019. Patent Litigation practice Co-Head Elizabeth Stotland Weiswasser was named “Outstanding Practitioner” in June 2018.
- Business Finance & Restructuring partners Marcia Goldstein and Ronit Berkovich were named “Dealmakers of the Year” by The American Lawyer in March 2019; Private Equity partner Harvey Eisenberg received the “Dealmaker of the Year” honor in March 2018.
- Litigation partner Diane Sullivan was named a Winning Litigator by The National Law Journal in August 2019 and inducted into the Benchmark Litigation Hall of Fame in March 2019, one of just two attorneys nationwide to earn the honor this year. She was also named among the Top 100 Female Executives worldwide by the Financial Times in September 2018.
- Litigation Department Co-Chair Jonathan Polkes was named White Collar Crime/Investigations/Enforcement Attorney of the Year, for the second consecutive year. He and fellow Litigation Department Co-Chair David Lender were named among the Top 100 Trial Lawyers for the second year in a row by Benchmark Litigation in November 2018. Employment Litigation Head Jeffrey Klein was recognized as Labor & Employment Attorney of the Year: New York at the Benchmark Litigation U.S. awards in March 2019.
- Business Finance & Restructuring partner Marcia Goldstein and Technology & IP Transactions partner Charan Sandhu were named “Notable Women in Law” by Crain’s New York Business in January 2019.
- Employment Litigation practice group Head Jeffrey Klein, and partners Gary Friedman and Nicholas Pappas were named “Most Powerful Employment Lawyers” by Human Resource Executive Magazine in both July 2019 and June 2018.
- All three Business Finance & Restructuring Department Co-Chairs, Matt Barr, Gary Holtzer and Ray C. Schrock, P.C., were named Outstanding Restructuring Lawyers by Turnaround & Workouts 2016-2018.
- Three New York partners were named as Law360 “MVPs” in November 2018: Ronit Berkovich (Bankruptcy), David Herman (Real Estate) and Tax Department Co-Chair and Head of the Executive Compensation & Benefits Group Paul Wessel (Benefits).
- Transactions Co-Head Frederick Green was named an M&A “Trailblazer” by The National Law Journal in November 2018; Litigation Department Co-Head David Lender was named a Litigation “Trailblazer” in August 2018; White Collar Defense, Regulatory and Investigations Co-Head Christopher Garcia was named a White Collar, Regulatory & Compliance “Trailblazer” in May 2018; and Securities Litigation Co-Head John Neuwirth was named a Litigation “Trailblazer” in November 2017. They join a total of 15 Weil lawyers nationwide who have received this honor since 2015.
- Fourteen partners have been recognized by publications such as Law360, New York Law Journal, Turnarounds & Workouts, M&A Advisor and Euromoney as “Rising Stars” in 2018-2019, including Adam Banks, Ryan Preston Dahl, Anish Desai, Kelly DiBlasi, David Griffiths, Eric Hochstadt, Eoghan Keenan, Benton Lewis, Jessica Liou, Christopher Machera, Gabriel Morgan, Stephanie Srulowitz, Heather Viets and Caroline Zalka.
Pro Bono Initiatives and Community Service
Weil has performed hundreds of thousands of hours of pro bono service since our current program was launched in August 2005. In June 2018, Weil was named “Best International Firm” for Pro Bono Work and Diversity by Euromoney Legal Media Group’s Americas Women in Business Law Awards for the third consecutive year. In 2016 our program was recognized with awards by Financial Times’ Innovative Lawyers North America Report, the New York State Bar and The National Law Journal. Weil received recognition from the Cyrus R. Vance Center for International Justice for its special report on solitary confinement, undertaken on behalf of the United Nations Special Rapporteur on Torture. Weil attorneys also received the Cornerstone Award for distinguished service from the Lawyers Alliance for New York for representing LANY in its efforts to obtain records from the New York City Department of Finance related to the Department’s construction of the New York state property tax exemption for charitable organizations. The Firm was featured in The Am Law Daily for its significant victory for the East End Eruv Association, and religious freedom in general, in a dispute related to the establishment of an eruv - a symbolic enclosure significant to people of Jewish faith.
The New York office was also honored with the 2016 Pro Public Award from The Legal Aid Society. The Firm has partnered with The Legal Aid Society for many years to offer legal services on a diverse range of matters, including saving homes, representing death row inmates, safeguarding prisoners’ rights, representing families at risk of homelessness in class actions and advising small businesses. In addition to our pro bono work, members of the New York office are engaged through support of local organizations including Big Brother Big Sister, PENCIL and the American Cancer Society’s Hope Lodge in New York City. Additionally, many partners and staff serve on boards of national and local not-for-profits and charity organizations.