Firm at a Glance
With an entrepreneurial spirit at our core, Weil lawyers and staff bring passion, creativity and optimism to all that we approach. We don’t ask, "How was it done last time?" we ask, "How can it be done better?"
Our success stems from our role as strategic business partners and as innovative problem solvers for clients wherever they operate. Talented individuals who want a seat at the table and to tackle complex, challenging matters on behalf of world-class companies will find ample opportunities to shine.
- At the forefront of change in law and corporate social responsibility
- Pioneered major areas of law, including corporate governance, private equity, and bankruptcy and restructuring
- At the vanguard of legal innovation for the digital age
- Founded in 1931
Offices spanning 3 continents and 6 countries:
- Hong Kong
- New York
- Silicon Valley
- Washington, DC
We consider ourselves not only legal advisors but also strategic business partners to our clients, providing sound and pragmatic guidance on their most sensitive and important issues.
We are a full-service firm providing counsel to our clients on matters across Litigation; Corporate; Tax, Executive Compensation & Benefits; and Business Finance & Restructuring Departments.
- Approximately 1,100 lawyers worldwide
- Speak 49 languages
- Communicate effectively across many cultures
- U.S. lawyers and staff hail from 40 countries around the globe
“It was the sophistication and high-profile nature of Weil’s work that brought me here. It’s the people who have kept me here.” Kyle Krpata, Partner, Silicon Valley
Launch a Career
When you join Weil, you are not just getting a job, you are launching a career. Not only will you work together with Weil colleagues, you will partner with clients and hone your skills as a business lawyer. In doing so, you will be building skills that can take you in many different professional directions. You will also have access to robust training and professional development programs.
- Programs focused on topics such as professional ethics, client service and time-management
- Department-specific orientation programs designed to provide all the substantive information to get your career off to a promising start
- In-house training programs throughout the year that educate new lawyers and keep experienced lawyers current in their fields
At Weil, we place a high priority on mentoring relationships, both formal and informal. The professional development that takes place day-to-day is invaluable. Upon arrival at the firm, each new associate is paired with a New Associate Partner Advisor and an Associate Mentor. These relationships last through the first year of an associate’s time at Weil. After one year, each associate submits a choice of a Partner/Counsel Mentor.
Additionally, informal mentoring relationships between Partner Advisors, Associate Mentors and associates are encouraged throughout each associate’s career. This guidance comes in the form of extra insight, coaching, or tips on how to impress clients by delivering stellar work that will realize a client’s business objectives. Along with offering instruction, guidance and feedback on an ongoing basis, senior attorneys support associates in fashioning a sustainable work-life balance, which may include such features as flex-time.
Training & Evaluations
Weil offers training programs in each department beginning with New Associate Orientation. Over 225 in-house training programs and workshops are conducted, including Litigation Trial Skills, BFR Department New Associates’ Training, Team Leadership and Project Management, and Business Development. These programs are firmwide and are conducted live or broadcast via video and/or audio to each office. Associates may supplement our in-house trainings with programs offered by various outside providers such as the Practising Law Institute.
To enhance the professional growth and development of our associates, Weil has a performance evaluation system that is intended to provide associates with clear and specific feedback on their performance. Our evaluation system includes an associate self-evaluation questionnaire, written evaluation forms and training for partners on how to conduct meaningful performance reviews. We also provide training for associates on how to get the most out of their review session.
Associates receive two reviews: a mid-year review in June/July and a second review shortly after year-end. We currently evaluate each associate's performance based on the criteria set forth below:
- Substantive Legal Knowledge
- Analytical Skills
- Written and Oral Communication Skills
“We strive to give clients the top quality work that we can, and it’s through training our associates to be the best they can be that enables us to do that.”Ronit Berkovich, Partner, New York
Wherever your career takes you, this practical, client-oriented mindset will be extraordinarily helpful. And if your career does move beyond Weil, our Alumni Program helps you stay connected to Weil’s extensive professional network.
4500+ Alumni in our Global Network
150+ Alumni Serving in the Judiciary and Government Agencies
At the forefront of change, Weil has been a first-mover in partnering with clients to understand the full picture of their needs and help them achieve strategic goals. Sophisticated clients today require this new type of business lawyering and, at Weil, we adapted to this model years ago. We don’t just counsel clients; we work side-by-side with them to gather a 360-degree view of their business so that we can be best positioned to help them move forward. Clients demand these skills from lawyers today, and you will start your career with an unmatched opportunity to build a solid foundation and to stay ahead of the pack. Our entrepreneurial culture and meritocracy provides you with the chance to gain experience and advance more quickly than you would elsewhere.
In this atmosphere, you will have the opportunity to:
- Team up with colleagues to find solutions for clients and execute them to achieve real results
- Learn from dynamic, action-oriented business lawyers who don’t spend hours and hours pondering theories
- Gain a seat at the table and take on challenges and responsibilities that will help you build marketable skills and lay the foundation for a fulfilling professional life
Summer Associate Program
Your summer at Weil is packed with opportunities to learn and develop.
Our commitment to your career begins early and we have a team of people to support you, including assignment coordinators, associate mentors, social coordinators and Summer Program Committee partners.
We offer trainings in Deposition, Writing, Negotiation and Diversity, as well as a Speakers Series featuring talks with prominent clients, alumni and firm leaders.
To apply for a 1L Summer Associate position click here.
1L Recruiting Calendar
|Harvard||January 14, 2019||6:30pm||Cambridge, MA|
|NYU||January 16, 2019||6:30pm||New York, NY|
|Fordham||January 28, 2019||6:30pm||New York, NY|
|Duke||January 31, 2019||6:30pm||Durham, NC|
|Northwestern/U. of Chicago||February 12, 2019||6:30pm||Chicago, IL|
|Penn||February 19, 2019||6:30pm||Philadelphia, PA|
|Michigan||February 21, 2019||6:30pm||Ann Arbor, MI|
|Georgetown||February 26, 2019||6:30pm||Washington, D.C.|
|UVA||March 6, 2019||6:30pm||Charlottesville, VA|
|Cornell||March 19, 2019||6:30pm||Ithaca, NY|
|Columbia||March 26, 2019||7:00pm||New York, NY|
Summer Associate Perspectives
Weil’s summer associates share their perspectives on firm culture, mentoring, training, assignments, pro bono and social events. Read through more than 30 first-person views on a day in the life of a Weil summer associate.
Diversity Fellowships @ Weil
The Weil Diversity Fellowship Program supports the firm’s overall commitment to diversity and is designed to increase the number of diverse attorneys who want to pursue careers at one of our U.S. offices.
To apply for a 1L Diversity Fellowship click here.
Summer Program Locations
Our Summer Associate Program is available in six U.S. cities. Practice areas and duration vary by city.
- Duration: 12 weeks
- Program Components: No formal rotation; Private Equity
- NALP – Boston
- Duration: 10 weeks (minimum six weeks required)
- Program Components: Up to three department rotations; Corporate (Private Equity, M&A, Banking & Finance), Litigation, Tax
- NALP – Dallas
- Duration: 12 weeks
- Program Components: No formal rotation; Corporate, Real Estate, Complex Commercial Litigation
- NALP – Miami
- Duration: 12 weeks
- Program Components: Up to three department rotations; Business Finance & Restructuring, Corporate, Litigation, Tax
- NALP – New York
- Duration: 10 weeks
- Program Components: Candidates interview for specific practice area; Banking & Finance, Capital Markets, Complex Commercial Litigation, Intellectual Property, Mergers & Acquisitions, Patent Litigation, Private Equity, Technology & IP Transactions
- NALP – Silicon Valley
- Duration: 10 weeks
- Program Components: No formal rotation; Antitrust Litigation, Patent Litigation, White Collar Defense & Investigations
- NALP – Washington DC
Pro Bono Externships
Our commitment to Pro Bono service extends to all aspects of working at Weil. Our full-time associates are allowed the opportunity to work exclusively on pro bono matters with leading public service and charitable organizations for several months.
Summer associates based in New York are given the opportunity to participate in the firm’s pro bono summer externship program by spending two weeks at a public interest organization. These externships afford summer associates the opportunity to attend pro bono training programs, work alongside staff attorneys, conduct administrative hearings, assist on appeals, and interview clients. Apart from externships, summer associates are also assigned pro bono cases under the supervision of attorneys in the various practice groups through which they rotate.
“We encourage associates to do pro bono not only because it’s the right thing to do…but also, we see it as a great way for a young associate to get the kind of opportunities they might not otherwise get that early on in their careers.” Jared Friedmann, Partner, New York
Gain Exposure to Premier Clients
Part of being a business lawyer is having a seat at the table, and at Weil you’ll get this chance considerably earlier in your career than you would elsewhere.
And it won’t be a seat at just any table. Weil’s diverse and deep client list spans leading corporations, financial institutions, private equity funds and private companies, as well as executives, boards, board committees and directors. You’ll have the opportunity to partner with premier clients across industries and sectors.
Premier Clients & Accolades
- Advent International
- Dow Chemical
- Eli Lilly
- Estée Lauder
- Exxon Mobil
- General Motors
- Goldman Sachs
- Home Depot
- J. Crew
- Johnson & Johnson
- Kinder Morgan
- Marsh & McLennan
- Marvel Entertainment
- Morgan Stanley
- Pandora Media
- Procter & Gamble
- Providence Equity
- Sirius XM
- Takata Corporation
- Tiffany & Co.
Be an Outstanding Corporate Citizen
Our constant questioning of, “How can it be done better?” is not limited to the boardroom and the courtroom. We also seek to stay ahead of the pack when it comes to corporate social responsibility.
Giving back has always been part of Weil’s culture, and we do this through five pillars of our engagement with the places where we live and work: the Weil Foundation, social responsibility, pro bono, diversity & inclusion and WeilGreen. 2018 marks the 35th anniversary of the establishment of the Weil Foundation, whose charitable contributions along with those of the Firm have totaled nearly $100 million since 1983. Learn more about our efforts in the inaugural edition of the Weil Foundation & Corporate Social Responsibility U.S. Annual Report, which looks at our long history of supporting the communities around us and provides an overview of the Firm’s philanthropic efforts in the U.S. for 2017.
We are also committed to diversity – and we are not just talking about it, we are taking action. TOWER, the Taskforce on Women’s Engagement & Retention, is a committee of women and men partners from across the Firm focused on the advancement and development of women attorneys globally. Even though we are among the diversity leaders in Big Law, we know the industrywide statistics and want to do better.
- Implemented groundbreaking pro bono policy a decade ago that includes the goal that every lawyer perform 50 hours of pro bono each year
- Attorneys and staff have committed hundreds of thousands of pro bono hours since commencing current pro bono program in 2005
- Number 4 on Law360’s first-ever survey of “BigLaw’s Biggest Givers” for 2014
- Among the first New York firms to institute a formal diversity policy and firmwide diversity training program.
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity and inclusion have been core values since our founding in 1931. For over 30 years, Weil has been a leader in investing in formal initiatives to promote an inclusive culture. Our culture of respect and support creates an environment where all feel comfortable and encouraged to excel.
- Among the first firms to implement formal affinity groups; unique among firms by hosting individual conferences for Asian-American, Black, Latino, and LGBTQ+ attorneys. Our 5 affinity groups are: Asian Attorneys@Weil, Latinos@Weil, The Black Attorney Affinity Group, WeilPride (LGBTQ+ Association of Weil), Women@Weil.
- Weil’s U.S. employees speak 49 languages; 37% of 2018 U.S. summer associates were LGBTQ+ and/or people of color; 18 firm leaders are LGBTQ+, people of color, or women; 38% of U.S. partners promoted since 2007 have been women.
- Weil celebrated its fifth biennial anniversary of Diversity Week in November 2015 by supersizing our efforts to a month-long celebration. Diversity Month 2017 explored the Firm’s historic commitment to inclusion and delved into the topic of “Diversity of Thought” with about 30 events worldwide.
- Weil’s Diversity Fellowship Program offers $10,000 scholarship awards to first- and second-year law students to promote greater diversity in the profession. Since 2011, the firm has awarded 49 fellows.
- Upstander@Weil is an innovative new initiative to inspire all attorneys and staff to stand up for inclusion by expanding the powerful “ally” concept to people of color, LGBTQ+, women, and other groups.
- Weil won “Best International Firm for Diversity” at Euromoney’s Americas Women in Business Law Awards for three consecutive years, from 2016 through 2018, and was honored by Morgan Stanley with the 2016 “Leadership and Excellence in Inclusion and Diversity” Award.
Hear from Veronica Bonhamgregory, Associate, Dallas about our Diversity Initiatives on Staffing
View more information about our affinity groups
Weil’s commitment to pro bono work is deeply ingrained in our culture. We believe that it is our obligation to volunteer our skills to those who would otherwise face severe challenges as victims of injustice or abuse without legal representation. The importance Weil places on providing these services to the community is demonstrated by our goal of having all lawyers at the firm perform 50 hours of pro bono work each year.
Recent Pro Bono News
- Weil Secures Asylum for a Syrian Professor Fleeing Persecution
- Weil Wins Civil Rights Victory for Mexican-American Students in Arizona
- Weil Attorneys Secure Victory in Florida on Behalf of Human Trafficking Victim
Changemaker Award — Center for Constitutional Rights 2018
Best International Firm for Pro Bono Work — Euromoney Legal Media Group’s Americas Women in Business Law Awards 2018
Pro Bono Publico Award — The Legal Aid Society 2017
Experienced Attorney Hiring
Whether you are a judicial clerk or considering a move from another law firm, Weil offers a wide path to professional growth and success for lawyers who have already embarked on their careers. We are continuously searching for talented lawyers who share our commitment to provide premier service to clients and to the community.
Once on board, lateral associates can expect:
- Outstanding training and mentoring from lawyers at the top of their fields
- A dynamic culture that prizes thinking outside the box
- Compensation and benefits that are highly competitive in the market
Weil has welcomed judicial clerks from U.S. federal courts and Delaware Court of Chancery to the firm. We value the clerkship experience and the incomparable insights that clerks bring to our clients and our practice of law. Many of our former judicial clerks worked with us as summer associates before taking on their clerkships. Hiring bonuses for judicial clerks are based on current market factors and are competitive.
“I started my career elsewhere and came to Weil as a mid-level associate … At Weil, you work hard, but you get to do it with a team of people who become your friends.” Gavin Westerman, Partner, New York
Apply for an Associate Position
To apply for an associate position at Weil, please submit an application online for any of the positions listed below. Search firms should email candidate applications directly to the Recruiting Contact in the office(s) in which the applicant is interested.
Available Lateral Associate Positions
- Business Finance & Restructuring – New York, NY
The Business Finance & Restructuring group is looking to hire a junior level Associate for our New York office. Candidate should have 1+ years restructuring experience in a large law firm. High level of academic achievement preferred. Click here to apply.
- Employment Litigation – New York, NY
The Employment Litigation group of the New York, NY office is looking to hire a highly motivated Junior to Mid-Level Associate who enjoys all aspects of a diverse employment practice, including working on major litigations, conducting internal investigations, regularly advising and counseling clients and speaking and publishing on topics in the field. Candidate should ideally have 2+ years of meaningful employment litigation experience. Candidate should have excellent analytical, litigation, and verbal and written communication skills. A high level of academic achievement and large law firm experience is preferred. Click here to apply.
- Patent Litigation – New York, NY
The Patent Litigation group is looking to hire Junior to Mid-Level Associates for our New York office. Candidates should have patent litigation and/or IPR experience. Candidates having a technical background in life sciences, electrical engineering, physics, chemistry, chemical engineering, or computer science are preferred. A high level of achievement and law firm experience is required. Click here to apply.
- Environmental Transactions – Washington, D.C.
The Environmental Transactions group is looking to hire a highly motivated Junior to Mid-Level Associate for our Washington, D.C., office. Candidates preferably will have knowledge of environmental regulations and liability issues as they relate to corporate transactions, including M&A, private equity, restructuring and financing transactions; however candidates with general corporate experience and an interest in environmental issues, or environmental litigation experience, also will be considered. The Associate will be working on a varied, broad-ranging portfolio of client matters, spanning multiple industries and jurisdictions. As such, strong organizational skills, an attention to detail, and excellent work ethic are required. Experience with transactional due diligence strongly preferred. Familiarity with environmental and/or transactional insurance a plus. Click here to apply.
- Technology and IP Transactions – New York, NY
The Technology and IP Transactions group is looking to hire a Mid-Level to senior Associate for our New York office. Candidate should have 3+ years of large law firm experience. High level of academic achievement preferred. Candidate should have substantial experience working on IP and tech transactions. Click here to apply.
Benefits, Perks & Programs
Everything you would expect from a large international law firm – and some things you wouldn’t. Our benefits, perks and programs demonstrate Weil’s commitment to being a great place to work. Your total compensation package is more than just your salary. It also includes an excellent benefits package and much more, featuring:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Benefits
- Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- Disability Coverage
- Qualified Transit and Parking Plan
- Flexible Spending Account Plans
- 401(k) Savings Plan
- Health Club Membership Reimbursement Program
- Health Advocate
- Bright Horizons Emergency Child and Adult/Elder Care Service
- Humana EAP and Work-Life Program
- Milk Stork
- Career and Life Coaching
- Social Finance “SoFi”
- Private Banking at Citi Private Bank
- Travel Desk
- Inclusive Parental Leave
- Flex-Time Work Arrangements
- Bar Association Membership Program
- Bar Examination and Review Courses Fees
- Bar Licensing and Registration Fees
- Bonus Referral Program
- In-House CLE Training
Weil offers many leading edge work-life programs and benefits to employees. Work-life means different things for everyone, so we offer a suite of options reflecting the diverse needs of our employees and their shifting life circumstances. Such programs include flexible work arrangements, inclusive parental leave and benefits, services to help new business-traveling mothers, back-up child care, opportunities to give back to the community, and more.
Benefits and Resources
Highlights of our U.S. work-life programs, benefits and resources include—but are not limited to—the following.
Career & Life Coaching
- This program offers U.S. associates and counsel six sessions annually of confidential, one-on-one external professional coaching for targeted career development needs. The reasons may include, but are not limited to: delegation and people management, career planning and development, networking and business development, executive presence and leadership skills, work-life integration, transitioning to and from leave, etc.
- This service is provided by the Firm at no cost to U.S. associates and counsel.
Remote Working Policy
Eligible U.S. associates may work remotely up to one day per week.
- U.S. employees have access to back-up care for their child or adult/elder relative when a regular care provider is unavailable.
- Bright Horizons has a network of over 2,500 locations nationwide of back-up childcare centers as well as access to over 20,000 in-home care providers to care for dependent children and/or adult/elder relatives.
- These services may be used up to 20 visits per child/adult annually.
- In addition, all U.S. employees have access to an additional 20 days of back-up care during their child’s first year through the Infant Transition Program.
- These benefits are all provided by the Firm at no cost to all U.S. employees.
Milk Stork helps business traveling, nursing mothers store and ship their milk back home to her baby while she is away. This service is provided by the firm at no cost to female attorneys and administrative personnel in our U.S. offices.
Social Finance ("SoFi") provides a suite of financing/refinancing options with low interest rates (and other perks): student loan, mortgage, personal, and parent loans.
Flexible Work Arrangements
Weil has a long-standing Flex-Time program for associates to adopt a reduced work schedule while continuing their commitment to practicing law.
Inclusive Parental Leave
Female and male associates in the U.S. are eligible for:
- Following the birth or adoption of a child, U.S. associates and counsel are eligible for 10 weeks of paid Parental Leave, regardless of gender or caregiver status.
- Birth mothers and primary caregivers of an adopted child or a child born by surrogate are eligible for an additional 10 weeks of paid Parental Leave, for a total of 20 weeks.
- Transgender health benefits
- Same and opposite sex domestic partner benefits
Work-Life Related Perks
- Health Club Membership Reimbursement Program
- Fitness Center Corporate Discounts
- Pet Insurance Discount
- Private Banking at Citi Private Bank
- Travel Desk to arrange all corporate and personal travel
Weil has a long history of giving back to the community, particularly to organizations with diverse constituents, and by working together, we can make a bigger impact in the lives of people who need our support.
Volunteer Time Off – Our VTO program allows all employees based in Weil’s U.S. offices to utilize up to one day of paid time off per year for the purpose of volunteering with an approved nonprofit organization. VTO is in addition to your paid time off.
Weil Gives – Employee Giving Program – Weil Gives is our new employee giving program to facilitate and encourage charitable giving on an individual level. Each month, Weil will designate a particular cause or issue to support, and each U.S. office will select a local charity for which to raise money that is related to the designated cause. We challenge each other to contribute the most money to worthy causes. The Philanthropic Committee matches up to $25,000 annually for the office that has the greatest overall percentage participation in the Weil Gives program.
Weil’s entrepreneurial and diverse culture makes for a work experience that is professionally rewarding and personally fulfilling. Weil is a place where so many talented lawyers from many kinds of backgrounds want to build a multifaceted, significant and satisfying career.
Play the videos below to meet some of our dynamic lawyers.
How to Apply
Please follow the appropriate link to submit an application.
To apply for a 1L Diversity Fellowship click here.
To apply for a 1L Summer Associate position click here.
To apply for an associate position at Weil, please submit an application online.
Click here to view our current list of available positions.
Search firms should email candidate applications directly to the Recruiting Contact in the office(s) in which the applicant is interested.
Contact List for U.S. Offices
Megan Farias, Director of Administration
Telephone: +1 617 772 8386
Facsimile: +1 617 772 8333
Linda Domyanic, Legal Recruiting & Client Relations Manager
Telephone: +1 214 746 7718
Facsimile: +1 214 746 7777
Allison Wallace, Director of Administration – Houston
Telephone: +1 713 546 5067
Facsimile: +1 713 224 9511
Rosa Lopes, Director of Administration – Miami
Telephone: +1 305 577 3162
Facsimile: +1 305 374 7159
Wesley B. Powell, Director, Legal Recruiting
Telephone: +1 212 735 4553
Facsimile: +1 212 310 8007
Lauren DeBernardi, Manager, Legal Recruiting & Associate Relations
Telephone: +1 650 802 3011
Facsimile: +1 650 802 3100
Abby Royal, Legal Recruiting & Associate Relations Manager
Telephone: +1 202 682 7023
Facsimile: +1 202 857 0940
It has been and will continue to be the policy of Weil to provide equal opportunity to all applicants for employment. Weil administers its personnel practices, including recruitment, hiring, promotions and other terms and conditions of employment, in a manner that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, disability, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, liability for service in the Armed Forces of the United States or any other unlawful criterion or circumstance.