Firm at a Glance
With an entrepreneurial spirit at our core, Weil lawyers and staff bring passion, creativity and optimism to all that we approach. We don’t ask "How was it done last time" we ask "How can it be done better?"
Our success stems from our role as strategic business partners and as innovative problem solvers for clients wherever they operate. Talented individuals who want a seat at the table and to tackle complex, challenging matters on behalf of world-class companies will find ample opportunities to shine.
- At the forefront of change in law and corporate social responsibility
- Pioneered major areas of law, including corporate governance, private equity, and bankruptcy and restructuring
- At the vanguard of legal innovation for the digital age
- Founded in 1931
> Read an interview with Weil’s Executive Partner Barry Wolf, which was featured in Forbes. He discusses various aspects of Weil’s infrastructure, including our culture, governance and strategy.
Offices spanning 3 continents and 9 countries:
- Hong Kong
- New York
- Silicon Valley
- Washington, DC
We consider ourselves not only legal advisors but also strategic business partners to our clients, providing sound and pragmatic guidance on their most sensitive and important issues.
We are a full-service firm providing counsel to our clients on matters across Litigation; Corporate; Tax, Executive Compensation & Benefits; and Business Finance & Restructuring Departments.
- Approximately 1,100 lawyers worldwide
- Speak 49 languages
- Communicate effectively across many cultures
- U.S. lawyers and staff hail from 40 countries around the globe
“There’s a diversity in the types of backgrounds people come from, where they’re from geographically, where they’re from socioeconomically, which law schools they went to ... and that’s really important when we’re working on cases and dealing with clients to have perspectives from all angles of life and that makes work more interesting. It also makes your work better.” Kiira Johal, Associate, New York
“It was the sophistication and high-profile nature of Weil’s work that brought me here. It’s the people who have kept me here.” Kyle Krpata, Partner, Silicon Valley
Launch a Career
When you join Weil, you are not just getting a job, you are launching a career. Not only will you work together with Weil colleagues, you will partner with clients and hone your skills as a business lawyer. In doing so, you will be building skills that can take you in many different professional directions. You will also have access to robust training and professional development programs.
- Programs focused on topics such as professional ethics, client service and time-management
- Department-specific orientation programs designed to provide all the substantive information to get your career off to a promising start
- In-house training programs throughout the year that educate new lawyers and keep experienced lawyers current in their fields
At Weil, we place a high priority on mentoring relationships, both formal and informal. The professional development that takes place day-to-day is invaluable. Upon arrival at the firm, each new associate is paired with a New Associate Partner Advisor and an Associate Mentor. These relationships last through the first year of an associate’s time at Weil. After one year, each associate submits a choice of a Partner/Counsel Mentor.
Additionally, informal mentoring relationships between Partner Advisors, Associate Mentors and associates are encouraged throughout each associate’s career. This guidance comes in the form of extra insight, coaching, or tips on how to impress clients by delivering stellar work that will realize a client’s business objectives. Along with offering instruction, guidance and feedback on an ongoing basis, senior attorneys support associates in fashioning a sustainable work-life balance, which may include such features as flex-time.
Training & Evaluations
Weil offers training programs in each department beginning with New Associate Orientation. Over 225 in-house training programs and workshops are conducted, including Litigation Trial Skills, BFR Department New Associates’ Training, Team Leadership and Project Management, and Business Development. These programs are firmwide and are conducted live or broadcast via video and/or audio to each office. Associates may supplement our in-house trainings with programs offered by various outside providers such as the Practising Law Institute.
To enhance the professional growth and development of our associates, Weil has a performance evaluation system that is intended to provide associates with clear and specific feedback on their performance. Our evaluation system includes an associate self-evaluation questionnaire, written evaluation forms and training for partners on how to conduct meaningful performance reviews. We also provide training for associates on how to get the most out of their review session.
Associates receive two reviews: a mid-year review in June/July and a second review shortly after year-end. We currently evaluate each associate's performance based on the criteria set forth below:
- Substantive Legal Knowledge
- Analytical Skills
- Written and Oral Communication Skills
Wherever your career takes you, this practical, client-oriented mindset will be extraordinarily helpful. And if your career does move beyond Weil, our Alumni Program helps you stay connected to Weil’s extensive professional network.
4500+ Alumni in our Global Network
150+ Alumni Serving in the Judiciary and Government Agencies
Blaze Your Trail
You will gain a seat at the table and have the opportunity to take on challenges and responsibilities that you can grow from as you launch your career. You will be building marketable skills from day one that will help you advance within and outside of the firm, depending on the path you choose.
Our entrepreneurial culture and meritocracy provides you with an opportunity to gain experience and advance more quickly than you would elsewhere.
Yes, you will work hard, but you will be part of a team and building solid experience that will be the foundation for a fulfilling professional life.
Summer Associate Program
Your summer at Weil is packed with opportunities to learn and develop.
Our commitment to your career begins early and we have a team of people to support you, including assignment coordinators, associate mentors, social coordinators and Summer Program Committee partners.
We offer trainings in Deposition, Writing, Negotiation and Diversity, as well as a Speakers Series featuring talks with prominent clients, alumni and firm leaders.
“The summer program was fantastic … It has a mix of very interesting, fun social activities where you really get to know your peers, the associates and the partners. You can find out about the day-to-day work of associates, explore the different areas you are interested in, and figure out what type of work you really want to do.” Marihug Cedeño, Associate, New York
Summer Associate Perspectives
Weil’s 2016 class of summer associates share their perspectives on firm culture, mentoring, training, assignments, pro bono and social events. Read through more than 30 first-person views on a day in the life of a Weil summer associate.
The Weil Diversity Fellowship Program supports the firm’s overall commitment to diversity and is designed to increase the number of diverse attorneys who want to pursue careers at one of our U.S. offices.
Summer Program Locations
Our Summer Associate Program is available in seven U.S. cities. Practice areas and duration vary by city.
- Duration: 12 weeks
- Program Components: No formal rotation; Private Equity
- 2016 NALP Boston
- Duration: 10 weeks (minimum six weeks required)
- Program Components: Up to three department rotations; Business Finance & Restructuring, Corporate, Litigation, Tax
- 2016 NALP Dallas
- Duration: 6-8 weeks
- Program Components: Rotations in two practice areas; Patent Litigation, Business Finance and Restructuring
- 2016 NALP Houston
- Duration: 12 weeks
- Program Components: No formal rotation; Corporate, Real Estate, Complex Commercial Litigation
- 2016 NALP Miami
- Duration: 12 weeks
- Program Components: Up to three department rotations; Business Finance & Restructuring, Corporate, Litigation, Tax
- 2016 NALP New York
- Duration: 12 weeks
- Program Components: Candidates interview for specific practice area; Banking & Finance, Capital Markets, Complex Commercial Litigation, Intellectual Property, Mergers & Acquisitions, Patent Litigation, Private Equity, Technology & IP Transactions
- 2016 NALP Silicon Valley
- Duration: 10 weeks
- Program Components: No formal rotation; Antitrust Litigation, Patent Litigation, White Collar Defense & Investigations
- 2016 NALP Washington DC
|Penn 1L Reception||January 9, 2017||6:30-8:30pm|
|Weil 1L Diversity Reception||January 19, 2017||6:30-9:00pm|
|UT 1L Reception||January 23, 2017||6:30-8:30pm|
|Northwestern/University of Chicago 1L Reception||January 24, 2017||6:30-8:30pm|
|NYU 1L Reception||January 25, 2017||6:30-8:30pm|
|Fordham 1L Reception||January 30, 2017||6:30-8:30pm|
|UVA 1L Reception||February 7, 2017||6:30-8:30pm|
|Harvard 1L Reception||February 13, 2017||6:30-8:30pm|
|Michigan 1L Reception||February 15, 2017||6:30-8:30pm|
|Duke 1L Reception||February 23, 2017||6:30-8:30pm|
|Cornell 1L Reception||March 1, 2017||6:30-8:30pm|
|Columbia 1L Reception||March 2, 2017||7:00-9:00pm|
Pro Bono Externships
Our commitment to Pro Bono service extends to all aspects of working at Weil. Our full-time associates are allowed the opportunity to work exclusively on pro bono matters with leading public service and charitable organizations for several months.
Summer associates based in New York are given the opportunity to participate in the firm’s pro bono summer externship program by spending two weeks at a public interest organization. These externships afford summer associates the opportunity to attend pro bono training programs, work alongside staff attorneys, conduct administrative hearings, assist on appeals, and interview clients. Apart from externships, summer associates are also assigned pro bono cases under the supervision of attorneys in the various practice groups through which they rotate.
“We encourage associates to do pro bono not only because it’s the right thing to do…but also, we see it as a great way for a young associate to get the kind of opportunities they might not otherwise get that early on in their careers.” Jared Friedmann, Counsel, New York
Gain Exposure to Premier Clients
Part of being a business lawyer is having a seat at the table, and at Weil you’ll get this chance considerably earlier in your career than you would elsewhere.
And it won’t be a seat at just any table. Weil’s diverse and deep client list spans leading corporations, financial institutions, private equity funds and private companies, as well as executives, boards, board committees and directors. You’ll have the opportunity to partner with premier clients across industries and sectors.
Premier Clients & Accolades
- Providence Equity
- General Motors
- Dow Chemical
- Pandora Media
- Intel Corporation
- lululemon athletica
- Advent International
- Adobe Systems
- Estee Lauder
- Johnson & Johnson
- Goldman Sachs
- Marsh & McLennan
- Morgan Stanley
- Procter & Gamble
- Kinder Morgan
- Marvel Entertainment
Practice Groups of the Year: Bankruptcy, Private Equity, Securities Litigation and Trials – Law360
Perennially ranked among the Top 5 firms for M&A globally
Ranked Top 5 for Global Private Equity for the last 6 years - Bloomberg
Ranked Top 5 for U.S. Equity IPOs - Bloomberg
Chief debtors’ counsel in 5 of the 6 largest U.S. bankruptcy filings in history
Top 10 in Litigation Power Rankings – The American Lawyer
Be an Outstanding Corporate Citizen
Our constant questioning of, “how can it be done better?” is not limited to the boardroom and the courtroom. We also seek to stay ahead of the pack when it comes to corporate social responsibility.
Giving back has always been part of Weil’s culture, and we do this in three primary ways: pro bono service, the provision of non-legal services to the community and charitable donations. We are a recognized leader in all three.
We are also committed to diversity – and we are not just talking about it, we are taking action. TOWER, the Taskforce on Women’s Engagement & Retention, is a committee of women and men partners from across the firm focused on the advancement and development of women attorneys globally. Even though we are among the diversity leaders in Big Law, we know the industrywide statistics and want to do better.
- Implemented ground-breaking pro bono policy a decade ago that includes the goal that every lawyer perform 50 hours of pro bono each year
- Attorneys and staff have committed hundreds of thousands of pro bono hours since commencing current pro bono program in 2005
- #4 on Law360’s first-ever survey of “Big Law’s Biggest Givers”
- Among the first New York firms to institute a formal diversity policy and firmwide diversity training program.
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity and inclusion have been core values since our founding in 1931. For over 30 years, Weil has been a leader in investing in formal initiatives to promote an inclusive culture. Our culture of respect and support creates an environment where all feel comfortable and encouraged to excel.
- Among the first firms to implement formal affinity groups; unique among firms by hosting individual conferences for Asian-American, Black, Latino, and LGBT attorneys.
- Weil’s U.S. employees speak 49 languages; 40% of 2016 U.S. summer associates are LGBT and/or people of color; 19 firm leaders are LGBT, people of color or women; 43% of U.S. partners promoted since 2007 have been women.
- Weil celebrated its fifth biennial anniversary of Diversity Week by supersizing our efforts to a month-long celebration. In November 2015, the firm hosted over 60 events worldwide.
- Weil’s Diversity Fellowship Program offers $10,000 scholarship awards to first- and second-year law students to promote greater diversity in the profession. Since 2011, the firm has awarded 23 fellows.
- Upstander@Weil is an innovative new initiative to inspire all attorneys and staff to stand up for inclusion by expanding the powerful “ally” concept to people of color, LGBT, women, and other groups.
- Weil won 2016 “Best International Firm for Diversity” at Euromoney’s Americas Women in Business Law Awards and was honored by Morgan Stanley with the 2016 “Leadership and Excellence in Inclusion and Diversity” Award.
Hear from Weil lawyers about our Diversity Initiatives and Retention
View more information about our affinity groups
Weil’s commitment to pro bono work is deeply ingrained in our culture. We believe that it is our obligation to volunteer our skills to those who would otherwise face severe challenges as victims of injustice or abuse without legal representation. The importance Weil places on providing these services to the community is demonstrated by our goal of having all lawyers at the firm perform 50 hours of pro bono work each year.
Recent Pro Bono News
- Iraqi Family Resettles in United States Through Weil’s Pro Bono Efforts
- Weil Assists in Resolving Pro Bono Case Through Implementation of Hospital Policies for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- Weil, Center for Constitutional Rights and Other Co-Counsel Reach Landmark Settlement That Ends Indeterminate Long-Term Solitary Confinement in California
Named to Pro Bono Hot List
Pro Bono Partnership Champion
Experienced Attorney Hiring
Whether you are a judicial clerk or considering a move from another law firm, Weil offers a wide path to professional growth and success for lawyers who have already embarked on their careers. We are continuously searching for talented lawyers who share our commitment to provide premier service to clients and to the community.
Once on board, lateral associates can expect:
- Outstanding training and mentoring from lawyers at the top of their fields
- A dynamic culture that prizes thinking outside the box
- Compensation and benefits that are highly competitive in the market
Weil has welcomed judicial clerks from U.S. federal courts and Delaware Court of Chancery to the firm. We value the clerkship experience and the incomparable insights that clerks bring to our clients and our practice of law. Many of our former judicial clerks worked with us as summer associates before taking on their clerkships. Hiring bonuses for judicial clerks are based on current market factors and are competitive.
“I started my career elsewhere and came to Weil as a mid-level associate … At Weil, you work hard, but you get to do it with a team of people who become your friends.” Gavin Westerman, Partner, New York
Benefits, Perks & Programs
Everything you would expect from a large international law firm – and some things you wouldn’t. Our benefits, perks and programs demonstrate Weil’s commitment to being a great place to work. Your total compensation package is more than just your salary. It also includes an excellent benefits package and much more, featuring:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Benefits
- Life & Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- Disability Coverage
- Qualified Transit and Parking Plan
- Flexible Spending Account Plans
- 401(k) Savings Plan
- Emergency Childcare Service
- Work/Life Benefits Services
- Bar Association Membership Program
- Bar Examination & Review Courses Fees
- Bar Licensing & Registration Fees
- Bonus Referral Program
- Flex-Time Work Schedules
- Health Club Membership Reimbursement Program
- In-House CLE Training
- Parental Leave
- Primary Caregiver Leave
At the forefront of change, Weil has been a first-mover in partnering with clients to understand the full picture of their needs and help them achieve strategic goals. Sophisticated clients today require this new type of business lawyering and, at Weil, we adapted to this model years ago. We don’t just counsel clients; we work side-by-side with them to gather a 360-degree view of their business so that we can be best positioned to help them move forward. Clients demand these skills from lawyers today, and you will start your career with an unmatched opportunity to build a solid foundation and to stay ahead of the pack.
In this atmosphere, you will have the opportunity to:
- Team up with colleagues to find solutions for clients and execute them to achieve real results
- Learn from dynamic, action-oriented business lawyers who don’t spend hours and hours pondering theories
- Hone your abilities in thinking outside the box, taking calculated risks and being decisive to achieve the best results
Weil’s entrepreneurial and diverse culture makes for a work experience that is professionally rewarding and personally fulfilling. Weil is a place where so many talented lawyers from many kinds of backgrounds want to build a multifaceted, significant and satisfying career.
Play the videos below to meet some of our dynamic lawyers.
How to Apply
Please follow the appropriate link to submit an application.
Contact List for U.S. Offices
Khrystyne Baltodano, Legal Recruiting Specialist
Telephone: +1 617 772 8834
Facsimile: +1 617 772 8333
Linda Domyanic, Legal Recruiting & Client Relations Manager
Telephone: +1 214 746 7718
Facsimile: +1 214 746 7777
Allison Wallace, Office Administrator
Telephone: +1 713 546 5067
Facsimile: +1 713 224 9511
Odalys Smith, Office Administrator
Telephone: +1 305 577 3130
Facsimile: +1 305 374 7159
Ashley Gray, Lateral Recruiting Specialist
Telephone: +1 212 833 3179
Facsimile: +1 212 310 8007
Razia Ahmad, Manager, Legal Recruiting & Associate Relations
Telephone: +1 650 802 3257
Facsimile: +1 650 802 3100
Abby Royal, Legal Recruiting & Associate Relations Manager
Telephone: +1 202 682 7023
Facsimile: +1 202 857 0940
It has been and will continue to be the policy of Weil to provide equal opportunity to all applicants for employment. Weil administers its personnel practices, including recruitment, hiring, promotions and other terms and conditions of employment, in a manner that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, disability, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, liability for service in the Armed Forces of the United States or any other unlawful criterion or circumstance.